Thursday, August 21, 2014


Tom and I (Dodi) Bivins when we were little.  Each life  is a song and gift from the Lord of which  each person has their own melody touching others lives.  Each life we touch gently presses into another's soul and leaves it's own special sound forever in our hearts, for past, present and for all of eternity. God tells us in his word "And the two shall become one flesh" So when God calls part of our selves (our loved one's) home to be with him - we now have parts of us truly in heaven, a part of our heart, spirit, mind and our focus is more upward than ever before. Tom carried that precious smile and radiant spirit with him until his last minutes and I just imagine when he opened his eyes in heaven his smile was even more beautiful and perfect.
  
Thomas J Bivins - 1957-2011 
Devoted Husband, Father,
Pastor, Funeral Director, Embalmer                                                                                                    and so much more.                                                                                                                                 

The Quality and Measure of a life                                                                                                             is measured not by it's duration, 
but it's donation. ___Corrie Ten Boone



This photo of Tom and myself is a reminder of the simplicity and un-complexity of life when we were kids.
 I have hanging on my bathroom wall a picture with a lake, sheep, farm, creeks etc.. not necessarily in that order but these photos surround a word which is in the center.... this one word.is "SIMPLICITY" and underneath this word is it's definition - natural and uncomplex.
Life was in such simplicity and un-complex when we were children, God reminds us in his word - we are to become as a little child before entering heaven - 
Through this journey of grief I've pondered a lot on "what is it to become as a little child"? Exactly what did Christ mean when he said we are become as a little children?   I believe he means that our spirits are to be childlike.  The Apostle John in the opening of his epistles often referred to us as his "Little Children".
Well I believe little children don't always have to understand everything, and when they don't know the answers to life's difficult questions they will just shrug their shoulders and say..."humm, I don't know" and simply walk away.  Now when death enters the picture, their hearts and spirits are so broken, I so believe one of the greatest condolences in ministering to someone who has lost a loved one is just a simple (hug) - words are un-necessary.
 Little children are just content being themselves,holding their parent's hand allowing themselves to be guided realizing their weakness, dependency and their need to be held and  lead.
Little children's days mostly consist of simplicity and un-complexty.  Help us Father to yield to this mindset.
Little Children adorn the word humility,  they simply believe and trust what their loving parent tells them.
I believe that is how God desires us to respond to him.

Tom taught me this grace by example, his simple childlike trust, his simple childlike humility, if he didn't know the answer he would say.... "It's okay, the Lord will take care of it" and just go about his work either whistling or smiling. Yes, he had down times, sad times, lonely times, rough times- but through them all he had a childlike spirit of total trust and dependency upon the Lord, he truly knew in whom he had believed in..
 His favorite song was Amazing Grace played on the bagpipes and loved the beauty of creation and would often say "didn't God make a beautiful world?".  I would then rely "yes he did... but if this is the wrong side of heaven - then what must the right side look like?"
 His childlike humility, love, grace and contentment of spirit was satisfied of who he was in Christ or should I say "Was satisified who Christ was in him".  .

and...... Ferree -
I don't know if I ever mention to you... but our wedding vows were from Ruth 1:16-17

 "Entreat me not to leave you,
or turn back from following you,
where ever you go, I will go,
where ever you lodge I will lodge,
Your people shall be my people
and your God, my God, where
you die - I shall die and there
I will be buried." 

On August 24, 2011 was our anniversary of 33 years
 he totally surprised me and
took me to a chapel where we actually renewed our
wedding vows repeating them  to each other.
And then God so chose to call him
home on November 18, 2011

One of his last words spoken to me was "honey,
I want to go home, let me go" (meaning heaven).

Precious in the Eyes of the Lord is
the death of His children
Psalm 116:15

Tom's life, laughter and love of life will forever be playing it's own song and music in my soul and heart.  I rejoice for him and can't even begin to imagine what he is experiencing at this present moment.

A special thank you to my daughter Myra (Josie) who helped me set up this blog...
Luv-u - Mom

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dodi, May the Lord bless you as you bless others through this blog--- (and if I may borrow from your own words)--- as you gently pressing into other souls, leaving your own special sound forever in our hearts---the song of a soul redeemed!
    I've added you to my blog list and will mention you next Tuesday on Widows Christian Place. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ferree and Hugs and God Bless to you . :-) Dodi

      Delete
  2. Dear Dodi ~ Thank you for this encouraging post.

    "God tells us in his word "And the two shall become one flesh" So when God calls part of our selves (our loved one's) home to be with him - we now have parts of us truly in heaven, a part of our heart, spirit, mind and our focus is more upward than ever before."


    "Each life is a song and gift from the Lord"

    I am so thankful for the song and gift of my dear husband from Jesus. Knowing my husband is with Jesus gives me peace. I look forward to our reunion and to being with Jesus our Savior for eternity.

    Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lorraine - with part of us already in heaven it does give us a wonderful reunion to look forward to. I like to think of it as a celestial reunion as the old hymn goes "Beyond the Sunset, Oh blissful Morning" lol / dodi

      Delete